Offshore Metocean Monitoring Systems and Support Services
Woods Hole Group provides a broad range of real-time metocean monitoring systems for the offshore environment. Such systems are typically required for real-time operational monitoring of key parameters that can impact the safety, security and feasibility of offshore activities and to provide a basis for the assessment of fatigue on key offshore assets and facilities. Such systems are often purchased by Clients as the most cost-effective basis for undertaking long-term, real-time monitoring and day to day operational guidance, however, Woods Hole Group can also provide leased solutions.
The Real-time Metocean Monitoring (RTMM) systems typically fall into the following categories:
- Fixed Systems – For offshore fixed platforms and floating facilities including semisubmersibles, spars, TLPs, FPSOs, FSOs, CALM buoys/SPMs and other facilities and vessels.
- Mobile Drilling Unit (MoDU) real-time current monitoring systems for drillships and semisubmersible rigs.
- Buoy Systems – The Woods Hole Group WatchDog buoy-based, real-time metocean monitoring systems.
Woods Hole Group metocean monitoring systems are designed by experienced oceanographic engineers, oceanographers and technicians. We focus on providing systems that deliver reliable, high quality, real-time data that will support day to day operational planning for a marine facility. The systems are engineered to allow ease of operation by Client personnel and to minimize regular maintenance requirements. Our metocean monitoring systems and support services include the following:
- Client support for system evaluation and scope of work development.
- Choice of sensors that will provide the required data accuracy and meet the demands of the marine environment and the installation environment.
Detailed system design including:
- Identification for sensor locations.
- Instrument Launch and Recovery Systems (LARS).
- Sensor housings and mountings.
- System cabling requirements.
- System power and communications requirements.
- On board real-time data displays.
- Secure, web-based data displays.
- Real-time data quality control.
- Data management and archiving.
- System integration including purchase of the sensors and components, software and firmware development and compilation of the whole system.
- System Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) of the full system capability, with direct Client involvement, if required.
- System packing and transportation logistics to the Client.
- System installation and commissioning ranging from buoy-based RTMM deployment, to working on the Client facility with Client engineers and contractors to fully install and commission the system.
- Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) of the full system capability.
- System health and operability monitoring by Woods Hole Group oceanographic engineers and oceanographers.
- Routine system maintenance services recommended for ongoing reliable operation, including the replacement of key components as needed.
- Emergency system maintenance services in the event of system damage due to unforeseen circumstances.
- Data management, maintaining an archive of the system measurements, providing regular data QA/QC and the preparation of system data reports on a regular or as needed basis.
Contact Woods Hole Group for your offshore real-time metocean monitoring system needs.