POSITION TITLE: Physical Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITY: To support and lead oceanographic data acquisition and analysis projects.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with oceanographic observational programs: including measurement program design, preparation and mobilization, and collection of field observations.
- Perform field data processing, interpretation and presentation tasks.
- Perform analysis of observational data to distinguish and interpret underlying physical processes in the regions of interest.
- Prepare written reports including discussions of technical methods, analysis results, and process descriptions.
- Assure proper archiving and documentation of program data.
- Assist with the development and verification of numerical (computer) models to aid in physical process analysis.
- Assist with oceanographic instrumentation system design, specification, construction , and documentation.
- Assist with company marketing programs.
- Assist and coordinate proposal efforts.
- Perform domestic and international field missions to install systems.
- Complete projects within budget and schedule restraints.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: The ability to supervise technicians and other staff in the completion of program tasks will be required.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Supervision will be received from senior level scientific/engineering staff member.PERFORMANCE EVALUATION BASED ON:
- Success in completing projects within budget and schedule restrains
- Level of competence in data analysis and process interpretations
- Client satisfaction with program results
Master's Degree in Engineering or Physical Sciences and 1-2 years of demonstrated experience in a related field. Ability to perform field work for both domestic and international programs is required. Experience in the control, application, and use of oceanographic instrument systems is necessary. Experience with computer languages including Fortran, C (C++), and Matlab is desirable. Excellent communication and personal interaction skills are desired.
Further information about the Woods Hole Group can be found on our website. The Woods Hole Group, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits package. To apply, please send resume outlining education, work experience and salary history to:
The Woods Hole Group, Inc.
81 Technology Park Drive
E. Falmouth, MA 02536
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER