Physical Oceanographer/Ocean Engineer
In accordance with long-term strategic objectives, Woods Hole Group, Inc. is seeking an experienced ocean scientist/engineer to join our Oceanography and Measurement Systems (OMS) department in Falmouth, Massachusetts. The candidate would participate in a wide variety of activities, including project work, project management, proposals, and business development. The candidate would focus on performing high-level scientific and engineering work for a variety of clients including oil companies, offshore and coastal engineering firms, the US Government. This job is for someone interested in making a long-term commitment to Woods Hole Group that could result in leading the OMS team.
- To develop and lead oceanographic data acquisition and analysis projects
- To provide extensive support of business development efforts in the commercial oceanography and ocean systems market, particularly the oil and gas market
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and deliver oceanographic observation programs, including measurement program design, preparation and mobilization, and collection of field observations
- Manage and deliver ocean system engineering programs, including overall system engineering design; supervision of detailed design engineering, construction and testing; and preparation of documentation
- Perform analysis of observational data to distinguish and interpret underlying physical processes
- Prepare written reports including discussions of technical methods, analysis results, and process descriptions
- Prepare project proposals and bids for clients; excellent writing skills are required
- Complete projects within budget and schedule restraints
- Engage in business development activities, including direct marketing of individual and company capabilities to clients, presentation of results in public and private meetings, and providing guidance to company management in regard to strategic growth opportunities and requirements.
Supervision of scientists, engineers, and technicians in the completion of program tasks.
Supervision will be received from senior level scientific/engineering staff members
Performance Evaluation Based on:
- Success in completing projects within budget and schedule restraints
- Progress in developing new business opportunities for Woods Hole Group
- Client satisfaction with program results
- Masterís Degree or higher in Physical Oceanography and/or Ocean Engineering
- Solid educational background in physical oceanography, especially ocean currents, waves, and winds in deep water and over the continental shelf
- Educational and/or commercial experience in ocean measurements and instrumentation
- Experience and understanding of the commercial scientific/technical consulting business environment and willingness to work in this environment that is characterized by short-fuse projects and proposals
- Interest in working in an applied science and engineering environment in a generalist capacity
- Desire and aptitude for devising innovative solutions to client ocean measurement problems
- Willingness to perform occasional field work on vessels and offshore oil rigs and platforms
- Willingness to perform business trips to client facilities, Woods Hole Group offices (especially Houston), and worldwide conferences.
Further information about Woods Hole Group can be found throughout our website. Woods Hole Group, Inc. offers a competitive salary and benefits package. To apply, please send a resume outlining education, work experience and salary history to:
Woods Hole Group, Inc.
81 Technology Park Drive
East Falmouth, MA 02536